Louie’s conditioning for his ultimate test began when he was a young lad. He was bullied by other boys and thus began his training for events he could have never imagined. It began with his bomber crashing into the ocean and a 47-day test of survival on the Pacific Ocean.
After surviving the Pacific Ocean, he met his worst enemy, Mutsuhiro Watanabe who made it his mission to BREAK him.
How did he remain Unbroken?
- He trained as an Olympic runner and was in top physical condition.
- He was fiercely competitive.
- He was strong mentally from years of training himself to focus on the end.
- He was strong emotionally and able to resist being controlled by his feelings.
Zamperini died on July 2, 2014 at the age of 97.
Because he was UNBROKEN, he was a Hero!
Zamperini’s UNBROKENNESS made him a hero. The Christian Life is different.
In the life of a believer being UNBROKEN says, I am Lord of my Life. I rule my world. This is of course, a dangerous posture in this context. BROKENNESS is simply saying to God, “I surrender my rights to you.” “I have come to the end of my own resources.”
So, what does BROKENNESS look like and why is it important?
- I surrender my rights to control in my Life.
- I am no longer Lord of my ring.
- I embrace my union with Christ in Galatians 2:20
“ I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20 ESV
Our BROKENNESS makes us a Disciple!
So, are you BROKEN OR UNBROKEN?